The Hives opened the festivities with a fabulous set of "REAL LIVE ROCK N' ROLL BY A REAL LIVE BAND". This Swedish group was a bold and fantastic warm up choice by the headliner and they burst through the early audience chatter with an energetic set of fast-paced rock. Pink made a point to thank The Hives during her set and gleefully announced that she is "soooo much cooler with them on the tour now."
This five piece band really cooks and they worked hard to win over the unsuspecting Pink fans as they trickled down to their seats. With a classic two guitar + drums + bass + captivating front man set up, The Hives put on one bombastic rock show. Dressed completely in Black and White formal wear, they left quite an impression on me. The lead singer, Pelle Almqvist, moved like Jagger but reminded me more of
Iggy Pop in a Top Hat and Tails. If these guys ever come back to Detroit, I am going to see them again!
My rating of their performance = a 29 out of 5 !
I definitely saw some firsts last night (which is saying something after all the shows I've racked up) and here's a quick rundown:
- I've never seen a front man enter the crowd and climb through sections of lower level seats while GRAZING on audience members' popcorn and drinking their beers! - courtesy of The Hives' Pelle Almqvist
- I've never seen a LONGER microphone cord allowing above-said front man to venture deep into the Palace arena while never missing a beat! - courtesy of The Hives' Pelle Almqvist
- I've never seen a front man introduce HIMSELF during band introductions! - courtesy of The Hives' Pelle Almqvist
- I've never seen an artist actually FLY above the Palace crowd straight over almost every seat in the house from the stage to the upper level and everywhere in between! - courtesy of Pink
- I've never seen so many well executed TRAP DOORS in such an elaborate rock stage! - courtesy of Pink
- I've never EVER seen a better stomach on an entertainer! - courtesy of Pink
- I've never seen women literally start fist fighting ON CUE once Pink sang the line "Na-na-na-na, na-na, na...I Wanna Start A Fight" from the monster hit 'So What' - courtesy of the well-mannered beauties seated next to me in Section 102
Go see them if you can!